I know some people wonder why they should hire a professional photographer instead of a friend with a nice DSLR camera or going to Sears. I understand, it is an investement...one I truly believe is priceless. There is no way to talk a person into doing something they don't want to do. And I'm not here to do that in this post, nor would I ever want to! I respect everyone's opinions and view points. I'm here to explain why I feel it is invaluable to the people who are truly curious. I hope this gives insight and understanding to some of my valued readers.
1. Know-how. A nice camera isn't enough to take good pics. If your friend with the nice DSLR camera haven't mastered the exposure triangle, doesn't how to consistently creating sharp images, doesn't know what good lighting is and how to use it, doesn't know how to pose each unique individual to create the most flattering angles, and doesn't know how to create a dinamic composition within the frame...well then the camera won’t magically know it for them, or be able to create it. This also goes for the many of the photographers found at Sears studios (and others like that). Many of those individuals have never had experience with photography and are taught to shoot in Auto with the bare minimum skills. Relying on the camera auto modes will give you random good shots... and a lot of random bad ones too. Hiring a professional photographer is hiring knowledge, know-how and experience. Would you like to hire someone with bare minimum experience to build your house or someone with years of knowledge and experience?
2. Professional retouching. In the digital era, a photograph needs a bit of editing to get a WOW factor. It's doesn't mean heavy retouching, nor changing the reality, but knowing how to add the right amount of contrast, the ideal dose of brightness/darkness here and there, a bit of color pop or a perfect black and white conversion can change an image into an unforgettable work of art.
3. High quality products. A professional photographer has access to products that are not available to the public. Durable prints with perfect colors, gorgeous canvases that will last a lifetime, heirloom albums...ect. While some printers are now offering these type of materials, their quality is greatly diminished compared to what a printer who only works with professional photographers produces.
4. The artist's eye. Ask 5 different people to photograph the same subject, and you will get 5 different photos. Photography is an art and highly subjective. Hiring a professional photographer is entrusting his or her vision. Do you love brightly colored posed photographs? Maybe you love soft processing set in natural surroundings like a field. Maybe you rather have lifestyle photographs taken in your home. By choosing a photographer who's work you love, you are ensuring you will receive photographs that speak to you individually and ones you would be happy to display in your home.
5. Photos that say YOU! Each photo session is designed specifically around you and your family. A professional photographer learns about you and makes sure that it is portrayed in each photo. Do you like hiking outdoors? What about a shoot at your favorite hiking spot. Do you enjoy family time, with your husband and kids cuddling and laughing? What about a lifestyle shoot in your room capturing your family playing and laughing with each other? Do you want to capture your kids being themselves? Does your son love to dress as a superhero and your daughter dreams of being a princess? Why not capture them living their dreams! Going to a cookie cutter studio doesn't allow you to personalize your session. They use the same background and same props in every photo. You, your family, your children, your relationships are unique. Capture that in your photos!
Along with capturing an atmosphere that speaks to your family, it is also about capturing each individual's personality. Professional photographers are not only good at the technical and artistic sides, we are also able to relax our clients and bring out their natural personalities in the photographs! Do you have a child who is super shy in front of the camera? Or maybe a child who just wants to run around and play? I think this is every Mom's fear during a photoshoot! Professional photographers know how to work with all different types of personalities to make them comfortable and to capture their personality. This skill set is invaluable to achieving photographs you will treasure for a lifetime!
6. Finally be in the photo! Though this doesn't pertain to a friend with a DSLR or a studio, I feel it is so important to say! Many parents, Mom's in particular, are never in the photos because we are the ones taking them. Hiring a professional photographer is the best way to finally be IN the photo with your loved ones. You can finally document the love and emotion between you and them...which is a priceless gift for the whole family!